Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Everything Starts With A Wish

"Fall-der-all and Fiddle-ee-dee, Fiddly, Faddelly, Foodle. All the dreamers in the world are dizzy in the noodle!...well I was just wishing, but I suppose that's not any good either....hmmm-Everything starts with a wish" ~Roger's and Hammerstein's Cinderella


I don't think I've ever really understood that song before. What on earth is the difference between a dream and a wish? I used to think. Aren't they essentially the same thing? After all, the cartoon Disney version of Cinderella says, "A dream is a wish your heart makes, when you're fast asleep..." But I suppose I've demonstrated already that we should not depend upon Disney movies as the source of all wisdom. Rogers and Hammerstein however, are like the ultimate creators of deep thought in theatre production. Ok, not really, but I really, really appreciate their insights. This one hit me today as particularly clever, and true.

I am a dreamer. A very bad one. I am often accused of leaving parts of myself in the dream world and forgetting to bring myself back to reality. I dream of being a successful writer and touring the country, no: the world! I dream of discovering hitherto undetected lands full of ancient artifacts and knowledge that will bring hundreds to the realization of truth. I dream of love and a warm, fuzzy, happily-ever-after with a companion who will never abandon me. I dream of peace and even saving all those little starving children in Africa and China. But do you know what? Not a single one of these dreams does me a lick of good. Sure, some of them have good purposes and intentions behind them, and none of them are truly bad things to dream about. Most of them are pretty good long term goals. But what does dwelling on them day after day and dreaming about what I could do or become tomorrow, do for today? Where does it get me? I'll tell you where. Sitting on my bed wondering why my arms are empty and being caught staring into space with a vacant expression during important conversations and having to rehear everything I missed because I was in lala land for the last fifteen minutes. Not particularly endearing to the speaker. No ma'am.

But a wish. A wish is grantable. Wishes are made one at a time, out of pure intention. If you are willing to get off your duff and believe in yourself and your wish, you yourself can make it come true. "I dream about marrying the prince," is very different from, "I wish to go to the ball so I can meet the prince and fall in love."

Do you understand what I'm saying? I'm not sure I'm being very clear. The thing is, dreams are passive. They are vague inclinations of what you think your future might be like, but probably feel it never will be. A wish is a clear and solid demand on reality of what you would like it to become. Wishes establish active intention, they're agressive!

So right here, right now, I'm going to establish some good solid wishes.

#1: I wish for a job. *I will now do the Cinderella-like thing and hunt one down with confidence

#2: I wish I could finish writing a book. *Now I shall work until the Eye is complete.

#3: I wish I could go on a mission. *I can start to prepare now and take the proper classes. I can save up everything I can and then ask for help with the rest. I will let others help me.

#4: I wish I were healthier. *And what kind of Cinderella doesn't clean up well? I'll cut out the crap and start running again. I can conquer asthma! I can conquer aching muscles! I can conquer my stubborn anti-will! Raar!

#5: I wish I were happy. *And what's stopping me? Happiness is a decision right? So you know what, from now on, I'm going to be happy! Try and stop me! I'm going to love my life for what it is and enjoy the ride. I'm going to stop criticizing myself and everyone around me and just love them. I'm going to stop worrying about the things I can't fix and happily solve the things I can. I'm going to walk on the sunny side and ignore the doom and gloom. As the good Lord instructs us, I am going to rejoice!

2 comments:

Hayley Sheppard said...

hey kristi! first please tellyour sister thank you for her comment on my peter pan entry! and sorry i haven't taken notice of it and second have you ever thought about dreams and wishes this way?


A dream is like everything good in life it takes hard work patience sometimes selfiness, and love of the dream to make it come true;
but a dream takes wishes to fully achieve it. When you begin on your road to your dream it is full of little wishes.

For example one of your dreams is do get married. Well to find the right one you have to date and to date often times you find yourself wishing in english class,
oh I wish that cute boy would ask me out!
or I wish we can just have or date at home tonight I am tired
or I wish you could read my mind and ask me to marry you already.

see you view dreams the way I view wishes, I have also though in my life thrown wishes in the category in my head labeled Regrets. Everytime I have heard the statement I wish it has a tone of chagrin and disappointment to it.
Have you not assoicated that with hearing "I wish"?

maybe its just me;D which wouldn't be surprising at all. but hey what else is new? hahaha but I did enjoy your pictures!!!

Dave in the Couv said...

So it sounds like wishes are mid-range goals, and dreams are more lofty, long range, perhaps even unattainable goals. Dreams however have the power to stir mens souls. Take for example, Martin Luther King's "I have a dream" speech, or JFK's dream of putting a man on the moon. In actuality, your dream of stopping world hunger is something you will work toward with your wish to go on a mission. Think of what the world would be like if even 50% of the population were honest tithe payers, working toward self sufficiency through education and hard work, and having the full support of the perpetual education fund to learn how to achieve these goals. Keep the dreams alive, but also realize that big dreams, like eating an elephant, have to be taken one bite at a time. Joseph Smith said that faith is the moving cause of all action. If you can have faith in your wishes and dreams to the point of taking action toward them, your faith will precede the miracle.